A quick, easy and healthy breakfast to enjoy this fall! Instant steel cut oats cooked with almond milk, fall spices, and pumpkin. Lightly sweetened with brown sugar and pure maple syrup.
I love steel cut oats, but I don’t always love how long they take to cook (which is anywhere from 10-30 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your oats to be). And generally when I wake up I need something quick and easy that I can make and eat “right now”, because thirty minutes from “now” I’ll probably be busy trying to get my two toddlers to get dressed, or brush their teeth, or I might be cleaning up the large bottle of shampoo that they just dumped all over the bathroom floor (that happened this morning, in case you were wondering).
Case and point: when I saw instant cooking steel cut oats at the grocery store a few months ago I was sold, and I bought them right away. Quaker makes them, and so does Bob’s Red Mill (I’m pretty sure). I’ve been using Quaker brand and I love them.
The inspiration for this recipe came from Chung Ah at Damn Delicious *one of my favorite food bloggers*. A couple of weeks ago she posted these Pumpkin Pie Oats and I made them right away because I had everything on hand and I knew I would love them, and I did. They were fabulous.
The problem was David wasn’t as big of a fan (he’s picky about his oatmeal flavors, and he’s not always that into pumpkin). So I was left with leftover oatmeal, and call me crazy but I like my oatmeal fresh. I also wanted to come up with a new way to eat my instant steel cut oats.
So I developed this really quick and easy recipe based off of Chung Ah’s stovetop version, but it’s the perfect amount for one and it comes together in the microwave in just five minutes. It’s warm and cozy; the perfect breakfast to warm your belly, especially when you wake up in a freezing cold apartment.
I like to stir in some brown sugar before the oatmeal cooks, but that’s just my personal preference and if you like your oatmeal less sweet, then leave it out all together!
- 1/3 cup quick cooking steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2-3 tsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch fine sea salt
- splash of vanilla (1/8 of a tsp or so)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- whole roasted unsalted pecans and pure maple syrup for serving (optional)
- In a large glass cereal bowl, combine the oats, almond milk, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt.
- Microwave at 50% power for 4-5 minutes, stirring halfway through, until oats are cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in a splash of vanilla and the pumpkin puree. Microwave for 10-20 seconds more at 50% power, to warm the pumpkin puree.
- Stir, and let cool slightly before topping with additional almond milk, roasted pecans and pure maple syrup, if desired.