This salad is bursting with flavor; crispy bits of romaine lettuce topped with sweet summer corn (cut right off the cob), vine ripened tomatoes, sliced avocados, and red onion. Before being served, it’s drizzled with a tangy homemade red wine vinaigrette.
I know I went on and on about the heat in my last post, and during the summer it really does get to me. But, the one thing I never get tired of during this HOT season is all of the fresh summer produce. It’s the one thing that makes me wish it was summer all. year. long.
So in honor of my lifelong love for produce, I invented this salad. Okay, okay… someone… somewhere… has probably made something very similar but this is my version and I love it. I finished off this whole bowl all by myself the other day for lunch after photographing it.
I think I should probably add that I only photographed a half-size salad.
For the record though, I could’ve eaten the full recipe. This salad is just that goooooooooooood. Not to mention that it’s healthy!
Now that we are talking about how I ate half of this salad, you should know that even though I consider it a side dish for four, it’d also make an awesome main dish for two. You could add grilled chicken or leave it meatless!
My favorite part of the salad is definitely the dressing. I mean, clearly I’m obsessed with tarragon. But beyond that, it just ties the whole salad together with it’s sweet & tangy summer infused flavor. You’ll love this salad. You should go make it ASAP; at the very least make it before summer ends!
- 2 hearts of romaine, washed and torn into pieces
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ear of sweet corn
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- *croutons (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sugar or pure maple syrup, to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- Prep an ice bath (fill a medium mixing bowl with cold water and ice). Fill a 10″ skillet with about an inch of water. Shuck the ear of corn. Put the corn in the water, and bring to a boil over high heat (this won’t take very long). Cover and turn the heat to medium. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep the remaining salad ingredients (thinly slice the onion, halve the tomatoes, wash and tear the lettuce**, etc). Wait to slice the avocados until just before serving. Combine the lettuce, onion, and tomatoes in a medium serving bowl.
- When the corn is done, carefully remove from hot water with tongs and drop into ice bath to stop the cooking process. Let corn sit in ice bath for 5 minutes. Remove and dry with a paper towel. Cut the corn off the cob and add it to the salad.
- Add the sliced avocado and croutons, and dress the salad with red wine vinaigrette to coat just before serving (be sure to shake up the dressing before pouring it on).
- Stir the salt into the garlic and smoosh it with the back of a butter knife (do this in a small mason jar or other salad dressing container). Add the vinegar, oil, 1 tablespoon sugar, and tarragon. Shake until sugar is dissolved and ingredients are combined. Taste on a small piece of lettuce. Add up to one additional tablespoon of sugar if desired. Add more kosher salt and white pepper to taste.