A cool and refreshing drink made by combining an easy homemade mint simple syrup and ice cold lemonade. This drink is perfect for any hot summer day!
I love the idea of summer, until it’s actually here, and then the heat is totally miserable. In my opinion, fall can’t come soon enough.It’s been so hot here lately. I’m not complaining. I realize there are places that get much more hot than it does here. I probably could never survive living in places like Arizona or Nevada. But we don’t have A/C, so when it gets above 90˚F here (which it’s been in the mid to high 90˚s for the past week) all I want to do is crawl into our deep freeze and just chill.
Problem is, that’s actually not a very safe solution to the heat. Enter this mint lemonade. It’s so cool and refreshing; the perfect drink for a hot summer day. And you better believe that I’ve consumed a lot of this lemonade recently, with the temperatures around here being so much above average for this area.
This drink, and also popsicles are my BFFs right now. I spend a lot of time with my head inside of our open freezer door.Have I mentioned how easy these are to make? It just involves making a 3-ingredient mint simple syrup, letting it cool, and then mixing it with prepared lemonade, ice, and mint leaves. Easy peasy.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 mint leaves + additional mint leaves for serving
- your favorite prepared lemonade (we used Simply Lemonade), [i]chilled[/i]
- crushed ice
- Combine sugar and water together in a small saucepan. Heat over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture [i]just[/i] comes to a boil. At this point the sugar should be dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Add mint leaves and let them steep in simple syrup for 15 minutes.
- Remove mint leaves (I pour it through a fine mesh sieve). Cool syrup completely.
- Put 1-2 tablespoons* of mint syrup in the bottom of 4 tall (12 oz) glasses. Put approx. 1/2 cup crushed ice in each cup, as well as a few mint leaves. Add the lemonade. Stir and taste. Add more mint simple syrup to taste.
- Garnish with additional mint leaves if desired. Serve immediately.