Small-batch pretzel crunch chocolate chip cookies made in to s’mores! These cookie s’mores are more commonly referred to as s’mookies (s’more + cookie).
These s’mores are not your average summertime guilty pleasure. They are over-the-top decadent, and 100% worthy of being a part of your next s’more night.
Now, I’m a huge fan of s’mores but every once in a while I think we should all trade out the humble graham cracker for something a little more exciting. Like say, an oreo or a fudge-stripe cookie… or my favorite graham-cracker-swap-out ever: homemade chocolate chip cookies.
[by the way: Look. at. that. drizzle. Insert emoji with heart eyes.]
S’mookies are like s’mores but on steroids. You still have the roast-y, toasty marshmallow and the melty chocolate but instead of a hard graham, you sandwich them between two soft cookies that add even more chocolate to the experience. In my book more chocolate is a win-win.These s’mookies are inspired by my love for all things sweet and salty (kind of like these yummy peanut butter bars), and they are totally divine. I used a store-bought salted caramel sauce but you could certainly use homemade if that’s your thing. I used to love making everything from scratch, and I still do make a lot of things on my own, but any shortcut that allows me more time with my family and less time in the kitchen is fine by me.
Speaking of, I absolutely love to cook, but the worst part of cooking is most definitely having to do dishes afterwards. Which is why I’m looking for a full-time dish washer. Fo reals.
Send your resumes to amanda at smallbatchtreats dot com.
I’ll pay in s’mookies. You’re welcome.
- Pretzel Crunch Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 1/4 cup [b][i]cold[/i][/b] unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg yolk, from large egg
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp crushed pretzels + 6 whole pretzels for pressing into cookies
- S’mookie assembly:
- approx. 6 tbsp salted caramel sauce
- 1 Hershey’s milk chocolate bar
- 6-12 jumbo marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Measure cold cubed butter, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla into a medium/small mixing bowl. Set aside while mixing dry ingredients.
- Measure 2/3 cup flour into a small bowl. Remove 1 tablespoon of flour from bowl. Add salt and baking soda; whisk and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, start on a low speed and gently start mixing the butter/sugar mixture. The butter will start to soften, and as it does increase the speed on the mixer until the butter and sugar are creamed. This should only take about 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed, increasing the speed as the flour starts to incorporate. Stop mixing when a dough forms. Stir in mini chocolate chips and crushed pretzels.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces (I use a medium cookie scoop, form six scoops of dough and then divide them in half). Roll into balls. Space apart evenly on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and press the six whole pretzels into the top of 6 of the 12 cookies.
- Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to cooling rack. Cool most of the way before using to make s’mookies.
- Spread some caramel sauce on the bottom cookie (the one without a whole pretzel). Roast the marshmallow (I use 2 marshmallows per s’mookie). I like to put two rectangles of chocolate on the top cookie and sit it near the fire while I’m roasting my marshmallows so that the chocolate melts a bit.
- Carefully sandwich roasted marshmallows between two cookies. Enjoy!