The perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for when the craving strikes but you don’t want to make a massive batch!
Chocolate chip cookies are my all-time favorite cookie. They might even be my all-time favorite treat. Ever.
When I was working to lose weight, I’d often have cravings for chocolate chip cookies. But part of losing weight for me meant developing some self control, and I knew that having 2-3 dozen cookies lying around was not a great idea.
Solution #1 was to make a normal size batch of cookie dough, I’d bake about 8 cookies and then I’d roll the rest into balls and freeze them. It seemed like a good idea.
That is until I realized that there were still 2-3 dozen cookies lying around, they just weren’t baked yet. It turns out frozen cookie dough is just as good and just as tempting as freshly made chocolate chip cookie dough. I have pretty good self control, but you can imagine how knowing there was a bag of cookie dough balls in the freezer would taunt me all day long, every single day.
Solution #2 was just to make the whole batch and give out the extras to our neighbors. I’m sure they loved me for it, but truth be told I don’t want to be known as the thin girl who fattens up all of her friends.
Solution #3 was to develop a small batch chocolate chip cookie recipe. This has been the best option for me! Now when my chocolate chip cookie cravings strike I can whip up a batch of eight totally yummy chocolate chip cookies. I don’t have to overwhelm my neighbors with tons of leftover treats or worry about over-indulging, and I still get to eat my favorite cookie!
Like all of the small batch recipes on this blog, this cookie recipe is perfect for smaller families or individuals looking to eat sweets in moderation! We all need a little less sugar in our lives, but I don’t believe that should mean completely giving up treats (especially our favorite treats). Am I right, or am I right?!
- 3 tbsp cold salted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, from a large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp milk chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 13×18″ baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon cold butter in a small glass microwaveable mixing bowl (I use a 1.5 quart pyrex bowl). Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into 4 cubes and set aside.
- Melt the 1 tablespoon butter in microwave for about 30 seconds until it is hot and bubbly. Remove from microwave and let cool exactly 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, add the cold butter cubes to the melted butter. Let sit for 3 more minutes (during this time the cold butter will soften).
- Meanwhile whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl (I just use a cereal bowl).
- When the second 3 minutes is up, add the sugars to the butter and cream together with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix again until combined and smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips and mix in on low speed until completely combined.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to a cooling rack. Cool at least 5 more minutes before serving.